Friday, April 25, 2003

Forty-Day Immersion: Day 3

The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way - never have and never will. 10:4 The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. 10:5 We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. 10:6 Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. 2 Corinthians 10:3-6, The Message

Day 3

If I am to demolish cultural corruption, I must have a starting point: the culture that lives with in me. It is not enough to be rid of old attitudes and actions, I must replace them with new – and uncorrupt – attitudes and actions.

The first place that I have to unpack and unleash the powerful God-tools is in my own life, my own sense of purpose, my own destiny for existence.

I don’t believe that we can really change anyone but ourselves. Even when we commit to a lifestyle of ongoing change and personal development, we still won’t really be able to change anyone else. And that is a good thing.

Real and lasting change is internally motivated. Maybe that is why one of the key concepts of Christianity is the indwelling of Christ in every believer, the permanent residence of Jesus within us from the first moment of faith. The greatest God-tool is the Son of God Himself.

Maybe I can never change another person, but if I am really changing and developing on the inside, then I may have the great honor and opportunity of being a positive influence in another person’s life.

And that is a great thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home